Name:
Location: Adelaide, S.A., Australia

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dilemma

I have a dilemma.

After dropping The Boy at work today, I went around the corner to visit mum at work and buy her a coffee. After getting the coffee (Spilling it all over myself [BURNED LEG!!] and the car) mum showed me something that has me all confused. Today she received a letter from an Animal Rights company. They discovered that my mum is selling scarves made of rabbit fur. She prefaced with a letter explaining where she was from and why she was writing and that she was happy to talk about it. Its sounds nice enough right? But it was a totally bitchin' letter. My first reaction was "What a bitch! How dare she tell my mum what she can and can not put in her shop. She has no idea what she's talking about." Attached to the letter were three or four pages of pictures of rabbits in cages, being skinned alive, and having their throats slit. They were pretty graphic and violent pictures. And my thoughts were more along the lines of "Ick. Who would do that. It's so cruel." But THEN, I went back to thinking, you know, rabbits are pests, they have no real use, and these rabbits in particular are being BRED for their fur. It's like chickens and cows, being bred for their meat. Right?

Am I a bad person for thinking my mum should be able to do what she wants? Am I wrong in not being THAT affected by these pictures? I really don't know.

3 Comments:

Blogger PJK said...

Cait, the real dilemma is whether or not you're going to make up your own mind on this issue. Listen to your conscience, not what anyone else says, neither any lame hippies nor any dodgy partisan websites like the one on your tagboard.

8:13 PM  
Blogger bodie said...

Heya Cait!
I agree with Patrick on this one (who almost became "Patrock" when I wrote that...a new music genre, perhaps?), it's really up to you. I'm really quite undecided myself...

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comment you've been waiting for! :P

F**k the rabbits!

They have so many uses when they're dead, or in the process of being killed! You can shoot them (legally, unlike humans), which is always fun. You can eat them (also legally, once again unlike humans), apparently they taste like chicken (rabbits, not humans). Plus, you can wear them, well, garments made from their fur. I haven't actually seen someone walking around with a dead rabbit over their shoulder!

Now, with so many uses for a dead rabbit, what are they good for alive again? Oh, that's right, THEY HAVE NO USE! (Before these lame "but I have a pet rabbit" people put in their "POOR RABBITS statements", remember the rabbits being discussed are not those cute little mess makers, they're the annoying useless scruffy looking rodents you generally find destroying farmers produce)

Kill the rabbits! Kill the bitch who wrote the letter! Rock on Cait's mum!

*Goes out to buy a rabbit scarf*

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home